Saturday, January 28, 2012

Soft Molasses Cookies


Molasses cookies are just about Jim's favorites.  I've had one standard recipe I have used for years.  Years.  When I saw this in the Chattanooga paper last month, I decided to try a new recipe.  It did not disappoint.  Soft and chewy.  As an added touch, I decided to roll each dough ball in raw sugar to give it a bit of "crunch."  I prefer them this way, but it's definitely an individual choice.  But the basic recipe is outstanding.  Deep molasses flavor, moist but not cakey.  I wish I had kept more on hand instead of sending them all to the office!

SOFT MOLASSES COOKIES

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup molasses
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
raw sugar, optional (about 1/4 cup or so)

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and egg until well blended.  Stir in the molasses.  Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger, stir into the molasses mixture.  Cover the dough and chill for at least one hour.

Heat oven to 350.  Line cookie sheets with a Silpat, parchment paper, or grease the sheet.  Roll the dough into walnut-sized balls (I weighed mine: 20 grams each).  Roll inthe raw sugar, if you'd like.  Place the cookies 2" apart onto the prepared cookie sheet.

Bake for 9-11 minutes in preheated oven.  Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment