Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Brown Sugar Ham and Bean Soup (CROCK POT)


Here's a SERIOUS once-a-year-use-that-ham-bone bean soup recipe.  I say once a year because, it is a bit decadent.  At least if you go by the recipe.  In all good conscience, I could not follow the recipe to the "T."  I had to substitute half-and-half for the cream, and I "only" use 3/4 cup of the brown sugar.   One day (well, one year) I swear I am going to make this recipe as it is called for because it must be Nirvana.  I mean, even by "healthing-it-up" I feel guilty.  But hey, a guilty pleasure once a year.  It ain't gonna kill me!

BROWN SUGAR HAM and BEANS (approximately 6 entree servings, maybe about 10 small dish servings)

1 lb navy beans, soaked overnight
1 meaty ham bone (I used the leftover from our Christmas spiral-cut ham)
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 cup cream
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp ginger powder
1-2 cups brown sugar

Place navy beans and ham bone in crock pot and fill with enough water to cover beans and most of ham bone.  Cook on low for 3-4 hours.  Add remaining ingredients and cook an additional 2-4 hours.  Take bone out and shred remaining meat off bone and add to soup.  Serve with a crusty loaf of bread and a salad (I usually serve with cornbread, but this time I tried polenta fries {recipe to follow}) and a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment