Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake


Still looking for a home for some of our leftover ham.  And this is a good one!  I actually took 3 or 4 different on-line recipes to come up with this one and it were good!!!  Really, really good.  I wish I had doubled the recipe so I would have had more leftovers.  I need to get one more dish prepared while I still have some ham.

The original recipe called to bake the uncooked potatoes along with the ham and sauce for 90 minutes.  But I was short on time.....so I microwaved the sliced potatoes (covered in water) for about 10 minutes until they were just tender.  And then I baked them for less than half and hour, just to heat throughout.  I might also try adding some smoked paprika.  I will list the recipe (compiled) as I found it, but that's a shortcut if you want/need one.  I served this with leftover bean soup and some steamed broccoli.

CHEESY HAM AND POTATO BAKE (approximately 4 servings)

1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt (or to taste....depends on your ham)
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%, and microwaved for a few minutes to warm)
2 cups chopped ham
about 2 1/2 cups potatoes, thinly sliced (I used two large Yukon golds, sliced on the mandolin)
1 1/2 cups cheddar (I used 4 oz Velveeta, then just sprinkled some cheddar into and on top)
1/2 onion, chopped
Smoked paprika, optional, to taste

Mix flour, pepper, and salt.  Melt butter in saucepan.  Add flour mixture.  Cook over medium heat for one minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in milk.  Cook until thick.

In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients with sauce.  Baked in covered casserole dish (mine was an 8x8) at 350 for 90 minutes (less if you've microwaved the potatoes).  Remove cover after first 30 minutes.  

Let cool 15 minutes before serving.  This is even better as leftovers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment