Friday, February 8, 2013

Glazed Mini Meatloaves

I don't know how many meatloaves I've ever made in my lifetime, but this is definitely in the Top Three.  This is one terrific meatloaf.  Now, I have never made a meatloaf the same way twice in my lifetime, but here's a terrific basic recipe from which to start.  Now generally, a true meatloaf is made of three basic portions:  1/3 ground chuck, 1/3 ground pork, and 1/3 ground veal.  I will never, ever use ground veal.  EVER.  So I generally use whatever ground meat I have in the freezer (once again, on a crusade to use up some freezer stock).  This time I used ground chicken, ground chuck, and a bit of breakfast sausage.

And I generally make a larger loaf instead of individual loaves.  But I gotta tell you, this came out so good I think I'll be making this again.  Also, I made four individual loaves (plenty for each of us and several bites for the girls), so two of them went into the freezer.

GLAZED MINI MEATLOAVES (Makes 4-5 meatloaves)

17-20 saltine crackers, crushed fine (about 2/3 cup)
1/4 cup whole milk
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt (WAY too much for me....I'd start with 1/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground meat
2 tsp vegetable oil

GLAZE:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
4 tsp cider vinegar

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425F.  Stir cracker crumbs, milk, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, egg, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 tsp salt (or 1/4) and 1/2 tsp pepper together in a large bowl.  Add ground meat and combine until uniform.  Shape mixture into oval loaves.

Heat oil in an 12" nonstick skillet over medium heat until the oil is rippling.   Add meatloaves (without letting them touch sides) and brown well one one side, 3-5 minutes.  Carefully flip loaves over and tidy up edges using a spatula (I didn't need to do this-my meatloaves managed to hold their shape really well).  Brown on this side for another 2-3 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix glaze ingredients together until smooth.  Transfer mini meatloaves to a foil-lined baking pan and spoon the glaze over the top of each meatloaf.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the center of the loaf registers 160F degrees on an instant-read thermometer.

UPDATE:  I froze two of the uncooked mini loaves and about a month later, thawed them, and then baked them as directions indicated.  I made the glaze for the thawed loaves and let me tell you!!!!!  These were just as good as the originals.  I think I'll double the recipe next time to have more than one meal on hand at a minutes notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment