Saturday, February 2, 2013

Limeades

This last week with the flu has just about made me sick of water!  I tried a few Ginger Ales, but they were just too sweet.  I decided to see if I could figure out a good recipe for a childhood favorite....the Limeade.  Now I come from the heart of the "Limeade Belt."  The best limeade you will ever have comes from the Braum's Ice Cream chain in the OK/TX area.  No one does them better.

I think the few other fast-food chains that make them simply use a 7-Up type soda and squeeze a few limes in it.  But a true southern Limeade has four simple ingredients:

Crushed ice
Simple syrup
Club soda or seltzer
Fresh limes

Simple syrup is made by combining 2 parts sugar and 1 part water.  Whisk and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.  Take off of heat once it has come to a boil, stir again, and let come to room temperature.

Combine the ingredients to suit your taste, depending on if you like it sweeter or tarter.  for a low calorie syrup, use Spenda in place of sugar.  Stir well and enjoy! 

NOTE:  Although I'm a purist when it comes to Limeades, you can easily make this a cherry limeade by adding a maraschino cherry and a bit of the juice to change the color.

No comments:

Post a Comment