Friday, February 15, 2013

Ham Jambalaya

I don't make Jambalaya often....I prefer gumbo.   But for me, it's one of those "I just had a taste for" dishes.  I tend to make this when I have cooked a ham and am looking for a home for the leftovers.  I pulled three different recipes on-line, and just kinda put together what sounded good to me.  I have to say, though, okra is a must for me.  Since I am so into textures in food, I love the sliminess of okra (the only food I can say that about!)

An added plus, this dish makes for great leftovers.  Reheats wonderfully.  

HAM JAMBALAYA (makes about 6 servings)

EVOO
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
8 oz trimmed, sliced okra
2 tsp garlic
2 cups diced ham
andouille sausage, optional

1 can diced tomatoes
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
smidge cayenne, or more to taste
2 drops hot sauce, or more to taste 

1 cup rice
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine

Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat.

Add onions, peppers, garlic, okra, and saute until beginning to soften, about 10 minutes.

Mix in tomatoes with their juices, ham, thyme, basil, pepper, cayenne, hot sauce, and bring to a boil.

Gradually stir in rice, cover pot.

Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer until rice is tender and most liquids are absorbed, about 25 minutes.  Season with S&P. 


TO OUTTA TOWN STRANGE::::

1:  I'm not too good at this internet-stuff.  (If you have any tips, please let me know:  KayFulton@aol.com).  I don't know how to put a "Search" button on for recipes.

2:  I do have THE BEST gumbo recipe in the world courtesy of my friend Diane.  If you look to the right of each recipe, you can scroll down to different months/years.  The gumbo recipe was posted on 9-30-12.

3:  I hope you find it.  I promise you, it is the best gumbo EVER.  It does make a LOT of gumbo, and if you want to make it really good, you'll need to invest in a lot of seafood: shrimp, oysters, catfish.  The more, the better.  I do hope you find this post, I'll try to keep finding a direct source to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment