Sunday, March 17, 2013

Colcannon

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!  Did you make corned beef?  We did.....from the pressure cooker and it was probably the best I've ever made.  I don't know if it was the brand or the cooker, but it was lean and so tender.  Now as much as I love corned beef with the traditional cooked cabbage, potatoes, and carrots, I have been wanting to try colcannon for years.  And I don't know why I waited to long.

Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish.  I imagine there are as many colcannon recipes as their are for many other dishes, but I think I picked a good one.  This is definitely a caloric splurge, but once a year (ok....maybe a few) is it really that much of a no-no?

COLCANNON (makes about 8 side servings)

6 large potatoes, peeled
4-6 Tbsp half-and-half
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
6 Tbsp butter, divided
1/2 of a small head of cabbage, thinly sliced

Slice peeled potatoes in half and place in pot.  Fill with enough water to cover and boil for 25 minutes, or until soft.  While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tbsp butter in large saucepan.  Add minced onion and stir to coat with butter.  Add cabbage over onions.  Cover saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until cabbage is soft.

Drain potatoes and add half-and-half (or milk) and salt.  Mash with electric mixer.  Stir together onion and cabbage mixture with mashed potatoes.  Spoon into an oven safe dish and place under broiler until top is browned.  Traditionally, colcannon is served with a deep well in the center filled with melted butter, so you can place 2 more Tbsp of butter on top and let it melt into the colcannon.

No comments:

Post a Comment