Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Favorite Coleslaw

You may know I am a fanatic about coleslaw.  Even the bad grocery store deli coleslaw.  I like it mayo-based or in a vinaigrette.  I like it homemade or in a restaurant.  I can make a meal out of coleslaw and saltines.  

But as much coleslaw as I have made or eaten, I've never been able to say "This one is my very favorite."  When I tried this recipe, that changed.  This coleslaw is the only coleslaw I could EVER say is my favorite.

MY FAVORITE COLESLAW (Serves 6)

1/2 bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 large carrot, chopped (or 3-4 baby carrots)
1/8 cup fresh parsley leaves
1/2 head cabbage
1/2 cup mayo (I used 1/4 cup regular, 1/4 cup light)
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1 Tbsp white distilled vinegar

Using a food processor, gently process the bell pepper, onion, carrot, and parsley, being careful not to over-process.  The mixture should be in small pieces, but not mushy.

Cut 1/2 of the cabbage into chunks and place in the food processor and process lightly, again making sure the mixture doesn't become mushy-it should be in small, fine pieces.  Slice the remaining cabbage into very thin strands.

In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage and the processed vegetables.  In a separate small bowl, mix the mayo, seasoned salt, black pepper, sugar, lemon-pepper, and vinegar together and allow to stand for 5 minutes.

Combine the mayo mixture with the vegetables, folding until the cabbage and vegetables are evenly coated.  Chill for 1 hour.  The coleslaw is best served within 1-3 hours as the leftovers tend to get water and the flavors lessen after a long stay in the frig (this comment came from the original recipe, but I found it to not be true.  It was just as good the next day....just stir it up.)


No comments:

Post a Comment