Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Couscous and Feta Cakes

Once again, WHERE IS MY FOOD STYLIST?!!!!   So this photo doesn't do the dish justice, but LET ME TELL YOU......this is one of the best side dishes I have ever made.  Oh my!!!  This is delicious.  I was looking through my database for a couscous side dish and found this from 1997.  I'd never made it.  What a mistake!  Absolutely delicious.  And pretty easy to make.  You can make it ahead and then frying it just takes a few minutes.

I'll give you the whole recipe as listed which would make 16 cakes.  I quartered the recipe (making just four cakes, perfect for just two people).  I'll list in parenthesis the amount I used.  I do hope you'll try this.  These cakes are absolutely delicious!!!

COUSCOUS AND FETA CAKES (makes 16 cakes)

2 1/2 (1/2*) cups water
1 cup (1/4) uncooked couscous (I used whole-wheat)
4 (1) tsp olive oil, divided
1 (1/4) cup minced red onion
1 (1/4)cup minced red bell pepper
1/2 (2 Tbsp) cup minced green bell pepper
2 (1/2) tsp minced garlic
4 (1) oz crumbled feta cheese
1/2 (2 Tbsp) cup AP flour
1/2 (2 Tbsp Egg Eaters) cup Egg Beaters (or 2 eggs)
2 (1/2 Tbsp) Tbps minced fresh parsley
1/4 (to taste) tsp salt
1/4 (to taste) tsp white or black pepper

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in couscous.  Remove from heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes.

Fluff with a fork.  Place 1 tsp oil in a skillet.  Add onion, peppers, and garlic, saute 5 minutes.   Combine couscous, onion mixture, cheese, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; stir well.

Place 1/2 tsp oil in skillet; heat to 375F.  Place 1/3 cup couscous mixture for each of four portions into skillet, shaping each portion into a 3" cake i nthe skillet.   Cook 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning cakes carefully after 3 miutes.  Remove cakes and keep warm.  Repeat  procedure with remaining oil and couscous mixture. 

Recipe Source: Cooking Light April 1997, p. 186 

No comments:

Post a Comment