Thursday, March 21, 2013

Roasted Beet Salad

Here's a great salad with you need a fancy side dish to go with a simple entree.  I grew up on pickled beets (my Mom made the best canned beets I'll ever have).  It wasn't until I worked at a restaurant in MN that I had plain roasted beets and fell in love with their flavor.  What a great addition to a salad.

I did a search for a Roasted Beet Salad on-line and came up about a dozen recipes which I kind of took a bit here and a bit there and came up with this very simple recipe.  There really isn't a recipe (except for the dresssing), so make as much or as little as you need.  I used one medium beet per person and half a pear per person.  The rest, just use what you like.

ROASTED BEET SALAD

Salad:
Roasted beets (cut off ends of each beet, wrap in aluminum foil, bake at 450F for about 45 minutes or until you can pierce the beef with a knife), sliced
Walnuts or sliced almonds
Arugula or baby greens
Goat or feta cheese
Pear or Asian pear, sliced

Dressing:
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 cup EVOO

Whisk dressing together well.  Set aside.

Dress greens with the dressing.  Alternate beet and pear slices on top.  Top with nuts and cheese.  Drizzle a bit more dressing over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment