Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Creamy Reuben Soup

I look forward to St. Patrick's Day every year because I just love corned beef and cabbage.  And I love to use the leftover corned beef in this incredibly, wonderful, delicious, creamy Reuben soup.  I learned this recipe from a recipe I worked at in Minnesota and I tell you, it is the best!!!!  Of course, I was exceptionally fortunate this year to find the consummate corned beef (the brand is Groebbel's) and it was the leanest, tenderest corned beef I have tried so far (every year it's kind of hit and miss....too fat, too tough).

So if you have some corned beef left over or want to save this recipe for the next time you serve corned beef, I urge you to try this recipe.

CREAMY REUBEN SOUP (6-8 servings)

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
4 cups beef broth
12 oz shredded corned beef
1 1/2 cups sauerkraut
3 cups half-and-half (I used 1 cup regular, 2 cups fat-free, and it turned out great)
3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 Tbsp caraway seeds
hot sauce and cajun seasoning, to taste

Rye bread

In a large soup pot, cook onion and celery in butter until tender, stir in flour until smooth.  Gradually stir in broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.  Stir in corned beef, sauerkraut, half-and-half, Swiss cheese, and caraway seeds.  Cook and stir for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Season to taste.

Toast rye bread and cut into small triangles.  Serve on top of soup (or make croutons out of rye or pumpernickel bagels).  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment