Thursday, August 25, 2011

Buttermilk Dressing


This is a duplicate recipe.  I think.  For the life of me I cannot find where I previously posted this but I'm so certain I did.  If anyone out there can help me put a "Search" button on this blog, I'd appreciate your help.

OK, but back to the recipe.  This may be one of the original "Ranch" dressing recipes, from an old Betty Crocker cookbook.  Make this dressing and you will never buy bottled Ranch Dressing again.  So so good.  Not just as a salad dressing, but as a basic dip recipe.  I am forever in a fight to lighten a recipe.  Originally I made this using reduced-fat mayo.  While it was good on that first day, by the second day it became completely runny.  On a hunch, I tried it again using half regular mayo and half reduced-fat mayo.  PERFECT!!!  The same deliciousness of a full-fat dressing and it also kept for at least a month.  So, I was able to lighten it by half but the flavor didn't suffer one single bit.  Goodness this stuff is good!

BUTTERMILK DRESSING

3/4 cup mayo
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp dried minced onion (I go a little heavy on this)
1/2 tsp salt (I use kosher)
coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
1 clove (tsp) minced garlic (I go a bit heavy on this, also)

Mix all ingredients.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to blend flavors.  Cover and refrigerate.  Will keep for at least a month.

For Buttermilk Parmesan Dressing:  Add 1/3 cup grated Parm and 1/2 tsp paprika

No comments:

Post a Comment