Sunday, August 7, 2011

Southwest Rice and Bean Salad w/Sweet and Spicy Dressing


OK, I have been fiddling with corn and black bean salad all summer.  I haven't been disappointed in a single one, and this one is no exception.  As with the others, the beauty of these ingredients are how adaptable they are.  I'm going to list the recipe exactly how I found it, but here's what I did to adapt it to what I had in my frig and pantry.    I cut the recipe in half, using equal amounts of white and brown/wild rice blend.  I used one whole can of black beans, eliminating the pintos.  I left out the chicken, and added red onions instead of green, and I chopped up some cilantro and parsley to add the green splash of color.  Oh, and some diced red pepper.

I will definitely up the amount of lime juice.....this dressing really makes the salad.  I only used about half the dressing to dress the salad, and served the other half on the side, so each person can add as much (or little) as they like. 

I love having a new use for leftover rice other than fried rice.  This, or another variation, will definitely be in the frig for the rest of the summer.

SOUTHWEST RICE and BEAN SALAD with SWEET and SPICY DRESSING (Serves 8-10)

Salad:
5 cups cooked rice, warm or at room temp (white, brown, wild rice or a combination)
2 tsp salt
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 (12-oz) can corn, drained
4 green onions, chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup fresly-squeezed lime juice
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
4-5 pickled jalapeno pepper rounds (found in the glass jars in the pickle/olive section of your market)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin

Combine all of the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.  Combine dressing ingredients in blender until peppers are finely minced.  Toss with salad.  Serve warm or at room temp.

No comments:

Post a Comment