Saturday, August 13, 2011

Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp


I love this dish.  Love, love, love it.  The original recipe (listed below) calls for Thai red curry paste.  I've always made it using the paste (which can be a bit spicy, you may want to cut it down a bit), but I have a couple of bottles of Red-Curry Coconut Sauce I picked up on my last trip to Central Market and thought I try that.  It was perfect (I halved the recipe and used 2 Tbsp of the sauce)!!!  Much less heat than the paste, and just a bit extra coconut flavor.  This is such a fast, delicious, beautiful dish.  You can't go wrong with either the paste or the sauce.  I served this on jasmine rice and with an artichoke.

THAI COCONUT CURRY SHRIMP

1 tsp oil
4 scallions, white and greens separated, chopped
1 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp)
1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 oz coconut milk
2 tsp fish sauce
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt to taste

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high.  Add scallion whites and red curry paste and saute one minute.  Add shrimp and garlic, season with salt and cook about 2-3 minutes.  Add coconut milk, fish sauce, and mix well.  Simmer about 2-3 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through.  Remove from heat, mix in scallion greens and cilantro.  Serve over rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment