Sunday, October 9, 2011

Balsamic Chicken


This entree is just about as easy as they come.  And oh so good!!!  I think the simplicity just brings out the best of the chicken and the vinegar.  When I first read the recipe (it's a South Beach Diet recipe) I was a bit leary.  In fact, I was going to use a balsamic glaze instead of just vinegar and I'm so glad I didn't!  I used chicken tenders and it was so tender we didn't even need a knife.  I'll list the recipe as published, but I just used 7 oz of tenders and since they're so thin, it only took 8 minutes in my oven (I turned it over in the dish and let it sit in the juices while I got everything else ready).   A great entree paired with either a simple side dish or something a bit fancier.

BALSAMIC CHICKEN (serves 6)

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, minced, or 1/2 tsp dried
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp EVOO
4-6 Tbsp white wine (optional)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Rinse the chicken and pat dry.  Combine the rosemary, garlic, pepper, and salt in a small bowl and mix well.  Place the chicken in a large bowl.  Drizzle with the oil, and rub with the spice mixture.  Cover and refrigerate overnight (mine sat for about four hours).

Preheat oven to 450.  Spray a heavy roasting pan or iron skillet with cooking spray.  Place the chicken in the pan and bake for 10 minutes.  Turn the chicken over.  If the drippings being to stick to the pan, stir in 3-4 Tbsp water or white wine.

Bake about 10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 160 and the juices run clear.  If the pan is dry, stir in another 1-2 Tbsp of water or white wine to loosen the drippings.  Drizzle the vinegar over the chicken in the pan.

Transfer the chicken to plates.  Stir the liquid to the pan and drizzle over the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment