Monday, October 31, 2011

Bon Bons


Happy Halloween!!!  I love this holiday.  Gorgeous fall colors, crisp air, and a whole new menu.  I hadn't made these little mice in decades and had a bit of trouble remembering how to assemble them.  My original notes said to use mini chocolate chips for the eyes, nose, and ears, but when I did that it looked just like a chocolate ball with a few chips.  So I used peanut butter chips (cut in half) for the ears.  I might try red hots for the eyes next time (you know how mice eyes are pink?).  I used black licorce strings for the tail (not easy to find, I'll tell ya).  Also, this time I used the Hershey's Kisses with Caramel.  Before I used the original Kisses.  Plus during the holidays, Hershey's usually releases several "holiday flavor" Kisses.  I don't think you would go wrong with any of them.  A fun, delicious treat any time of the year.

BON BONS (makes 4-5 dozen)

12 oz (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup butter
2 cups flour
Hershey's Kisses
1/2 cup finely ground nuts, your choice
mini chocolate chips for eyes, ears, and/or nose
other color chips, optional
cinnamon red hots, optional
black string licorce (I found mine at a candy store in the mall or in the bulk section of a health food store)

Heat oven to 350.

In medium saucepan, combine chocolate chips and butter.  Cook and stir over very low heat until chips are melted and smooth.  Add sweetened condensed milk.  Mix well.

Lightly spoon flour into measuring up.  Level off.  In medium bowl, combine flour, nuts, chocolate mixture, and vanilla.  Mix well.

Shape 1 Tbsp (20 grams) of dough around each Kiss, covering completely.  Place 1" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 6-8 minutes.  Cookies will be soft and shiny, but become firm as they cool.

To decorate as mice:

Cut the licorce into about 3" strands.  Push into dough while still warm.  For the ears, eyes, nose, use whichever chips you choose.  If you use the minis for the eyes, I find it easier and better looking to push the pointy-end into dough.  Place the nose pointy-end out.  Also, don't do this too early.  The dough is still quite warm and will melt the minis if inserted too soon.  Wait about 4-5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment