Monday, October 24, 2011

Root Beer Float Cookies


This is another re-post.  I made these cookies about a year ago.  I ran across the recipe which calls for Root Beer Extract or Concentrate.  Now, I love root beer so I figured I'd give these a try.  They were very good, but not over the top.  At the time, I could not find root beer extract in these parts, so I had to buy it on-line.  I found "Cook's Root Beer Extract."  Recently, I noticed in all my local grocery stores have started carrying the "Watkin's" brand of extracts, including the root beer flavor.  And what a difference!  Now these cookies really taste like root beer.  I'm loading up on this stuff.....if you need any....let me know and I'll get some in the mail to you.

ROOT BEER FLOAT COOKIES (made about 4 dozen for me)

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup butter, room temp
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
2 Tbsp root beer extract or concentrate
4 cups flour
pinch salt
1 tsp baking soda

Cream together sugars and butter until light and fluffy.  Add milks, eggs, and root beer extract.  Stir to combine.  Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Refrigerate dough until firm (mine sat overnight), then roll into 1" balls (mine weighed 20 grams each).  Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, or a sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.  Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.  Cool completely before applying glaze.

Glaze:    (I cut this recipe in half)

Whisk together:

1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp milk (skim, whole, 1/2&1/2, or cream)
1/2 tsp vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment