Sunday, October 23, 2011

Meatballs


I posted this meatball recipe a long time ago, but it is just too good not to post again.  The recipe came from Char's "Amici's Restaurant"  in Minnesota.  Char used half ground beef and half ground pork, but I thought one day I'd like to try to lighten them up a bit.  I tried ground turkey breast.  And they came out incredibly well!  You would think they'd be a bit dry, but they're not.  And something I had never heard of:  raisins in meatballs.  I do not care for raisins at all, but it just works here.  Really, really works.  And I recently saw in a magazine where they had "decorated" the meatballs for Halloween by popping two black olive slices on top.  And for the "bones" breadsticks, I just used refrigerated breadsticks, rolled them between my hands to lengthen them, and tied the ends in knots.  Pour a bit of marinara sauce on the end to resemble blood.

Delicious, fun, and a fantastic Halloween evening meal!

AMICI'S MEATBALLS

20 oz ground turkey breast
2 eggs or 1/4 cup egg substitute
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I always use Panko)
1 Tbsp fresh basil
1 Tbsp fresh parsley
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 large minced garlic cloves (2-3 tsp)
handful of raisins
1/2 cup milk (whole, skim, whatever you have on hand works)
S&P

Mix everything together until just combined.  I weigh my meatballs at 50 grams each and cook at 350 for 18 minutes.  Makes 18 meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment