Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Snickerdoodle Muffins

Holy Smoklin' Doklins'!!!!!!   Do you like Snickerdoodles?  Then you will love these muffins.

Funny thing....I think of all the things I missed out in my childhood.  Not much.  Really.  I had to have had the two greatest parents ever.   Maybe we didn't have a lot monetarily, but we had a simply nice life.  Except for one thing.  Snickerdoodles.  I don't know where I first encountered these lovlies, but they were never a part of my growing-up.  And I can't remember the first time I ever had a Snickerdoodle cookie.  But I do know that I loved it.  And still do.  Is Cream of Tartar an agent or a flavor?   Enlighten me if you can.

Anywhoooo.....these muffins bring the Snickerdoodle to muffin/cookie life.  They are so light and fluffy and have that bit of cinnamon crunch to boot.  If you are a coffee drinker, I cannot imagine a better accompaniment.    Oh heck.  Forget the coffee.  These stand on their own. 

SNICKERDOODLE MUFFINS  (Makes 18 cupcakes)

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 whole eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk

For the topping:
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.  Put 18 liners in the muffin tray.

In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon.  Set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and sugar.  Mix in the eggs and vanilla.

Add the sour cream and buttermilk and mix to combine.  Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until smooth.

Using a cookie dough scoop, plop a scoop of butter into the bowl with the cinnamon/sugar.  Gently roll the batter in the mixture.  Place the ball into the muffin liner.

When you have completed all of the muffins, sprinkle the leftover cinnamon/sugar onto the tops of the muffins.

NOTE:  This recipe came from LovintheOven.blogspot.com.  First of all, I made the dough earlier in the day.  When she said "scoop the dough into a cookie dough scoop, I had no idea how much dough she was talking about.  So I weighed the entire dough and split it into 18 servings.  Turned out each muffin was about 1/4 cup dough.  And then I put the dough into the cinnamon/sugar mixture and then kinda flip-flopped in back and forth between my two hands, like I was making a biscuit, ala Shirley Corriher (Atlanta's biscuit Queen).  Bake the muffins for 15 minutes or until they are golden on top and just baked through (the toothpick test).


The dough was quite sticky, was this because I used non-fat buttermilk and light sour cream???  I have no idea.  Didn't matter.  These muffins are Just The Best.

No comments:

Post a Comment