Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chicken Korma


Oh I wish I had another photo of this!  This one just doesn't do it justice.  And justice it deserves.  I'd heard of Chicken Korma (an Indian dish) but is one I had never made.  Two things:  it is so good and it is so easy.  This is a crock pot dish.  I got everything read the night before (if you cut the potatoes ahead of time, be sure to cover them with water, drain before using) and just popped everything in the crock pot about 2 p.m. and by 7 p.m. it was perfect.  The house smelled so good when I walked through the door.  The recipe (from "More Make if Fast, Cook it Slow" by Stephanie O'Dea) calls for 1 pound of skinless, boneless chicken.  I used half breast and half thigh.  Also, I couldn't find my cinnamon sticks so I just sprinkled a bit of ground cinnamon in.  Serve this over white or brown basmati rice.  I served it with seasoned Italian green beans.

CHICKEN KORMA (serves 4)

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken, cut in chunks
1 large potato, peeled and cut in 1/2" chunks
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can stew tomatoes and juice
1 garlic clove, minced (1 tsp)
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp dried ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (to add later)
cooked white or brown basmati rice for serving

Use a 4-quart slow cooker.  Put the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker.  Add the potato and onion.  Pour in the stewed tomatoes, and add the garlic and spices.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.  Discard the cinnamon stick, and stir in the sour cream or yogurt.  Serve over white or brown basmati rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment