Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Andes Peppermint Crunch Cookies

I found these baking chips in the clearance section of the grocery store after Christmas.  i had no idea what I was going to do with them, and after a month, I finally decided to just use the recipe on the back of the package and they come out wonderfully!  I know you won't be able to get the chips until next fall, but I do think a very close substitute would be those little Hickory Farms mints (I've seen packages of them at Wal-Mart in the deli section at the case where they keep their better cheeses).  Plus, I think using these would make pretty little Easter cookies.

These provide a wonderful array of texture and moistness.  The coconut gives a wonderful chewiness, the pecans a contrasting crunch.  The directions say make either smaller (1 Tbsp) cookies or larger ones (2 Tbsp).  I used my little cookie scoop I bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond which is about 1 1/2 Tbsp.  The scoop has a silicone bottom which you can kind of push the dough out, leaving an indentation to heap in some of the chopped up minutes.  I cooked this size for 18-20 minutes.

ANDES PEPPERMINT CRUNCH COOKIES (Makes about 30 3" or 60 1 1/2" cookies)

2 sticks (1/2 lb) unsalted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed (I used light brown)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 AP flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup sweetened grated coconut
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips (the remainder will be used to top the cookies)

Preheat oven to 300F.  Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy (about 3 minutes).  Beat in egg and vanilla extract.  On low speed add baking soda, salt, and then flour.  Mix completely.  Stir in oats, coconut, pecans, and baking chips.

Measure out 2 Tbsp for large or 1 Tbsp for small cookies.  Piece round balls on lightly greased cookie sheet (I used one pan lined with parchment paper and one lined with a Silpat) two inches apart.  Press lightly.  Sprinkle some of the remaining chips on top of each cookie.  Bake for 20 minutes for large cookies or 12-15 minutes for small cookies.  Do not over bake.  They get crunchy on the outside but remain soft inside.  Remove from the cookie sheet and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment