Sunday, January 20, 2013

Kiss the Cook Baby Back Ribs

I've been experimenting with the Digital Pressure Cooker I bought a month or two ago.  I mainly cook whole chicken for the dogs once or twice a week, but wanted to try to start cooking for Jim and I.

I had a couple of racks of baby backs I had bought on sale and need to start cleaning out my freezer so I decided to try these.  I always simply smoke the ribs, but this is a recipe that takes just 15 minutes in the pressure cooker (not counting power-up time and pressure-down time), and then 15 minutes on the grill.  I couldn't believe the outcome!  They are fall-off-the-bone tender and the grilling gives it that nice crusty, grill-marked outcome.

The book which contains this recipe calls for cooking on "HIGH."  My PC doesn't have a high or low button, so I cooked it on the "Beef" button for 20 minutes, instead of the 15 minutes it calls for.  Also, mine is a 5-quart and easily held 1 rack of ribs.....to use 2 racks, I'm sure you would need to use at least a 6-quart cooker.  I served it with potato salad and baked beans, but cole slaw or corn-on-the-cob would be two other great choices.

KISS THE COOK BABY BACK RIBS (Serves 4-8)

1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1-2 racks baby back ribs, cut to fit into cooker (mine fit about 4 ribs across, then stacked)
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 (18 oz) bottle bbq sauce (I used about 5-6 oz for one rack)

In a small bowl or ramekin, combine paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.  Rub the mixture even over entire surface of ribs.

Place rubbed ribs, chicken stock, and ketchup in the pressure cooker.  Securely lock the cooker's lid and set for 15 minutes on HIGH.

Let the pressure cooker's pressure release naturally for 15 minutes before performing a quick release to release any remaining pressure.

Grill cooked ribs using a preheated grill for 15 minutes, flipping once, and basting with barbecue sauce twice.

NOTE:  You can also prepare these in the oven after step 3.  Simply preheat oven to 375F.  Bake on an aluminum-lined sheet pan for 20-25 minutes.

Recipe Source:  Great Food Fast by Bob Warden 

No comments:

Post a Comment