Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

Jim and I went out last night and I had some mushroom soup with my dinner.  I love mushroom soup, any mushroom soup (ok, maybe not a condensed Cream of Mushroom soup).  Anyway, I just happened to have some mushrooms in the frig and the flavor from last night just lingered and I knew I had to have some more.

I've made mushroom soup before, probably never the same recipe.  But I also had some fresh dill on hand I wanted to use up so I did a search on allrecipes.com and put in mushrooms and dill as ingredients and came up with this fantastic recipe.  I'm posting the recipe as I found it, but next time I will make two adjustments:  I'll probably cut the parsley down about half or put it in early so it cook down a bit, and slightly lessen the lemon juice, but just slightly.

If you are a mushroom soup fan, keep this recipe on hand when you have the ingredients in your frig.  It's a great choice.

HUNGARIAN MUSHROOM SOUP (Serves 6)

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp dried or 2 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp AP flour
1 tsp salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup sour cream

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes.  Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes.  Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce, and broth.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.

In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together.  Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend.  Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

Finally, stir in the salt, pepper, lemon juice, parsley, and sour cream.  Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3-5 minutes.  Do not boil.  Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment