Saturday, January 26, 2013

Shrimp Bisque

OK, I don't quite know how to describe this without going out on a limb, here.  But let me just say, if this is not the best soup I have ever had, it is definitely in the top three.  Of course taste is a very subjective matter, but let me tell you!  It suits my taste just fine, thank you very much.  This bisque has it all.....taste, texture, presentation.

I had a couple of sourdough bread bowls leftover from Thanksgiving I'd been wanting to use up, but it just hasn't been chili weather.  I had originally planned on doing a salmon bisque, but looking for recipes, I ran across this one.  There are, of course, more than one shrimp bisque recipes out there and holy smokes!  am I ever glad I picked this one.  Don't let the list of ingredients scare you off.  This comes together pretty quickly.

You don't need the bread bowl, although it was a nice touch.  And for presentation purposes, I would definitely chopped up some chives or parsley.  If you are a shrimp/soup love, you gotta try this!

SHRIMP BISQUE (makes 4 small servings)

1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined, shells reserved....I already had shrimp stock made, so I just used what I had on hand)
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp flour
2 cup of stock (fish or chicken, I used 4 cups shrimp stock)
2 cups water
1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 Tbsp cognac or brandy
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup arborio rice
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp dry white wine
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 Tbsp cognac or brandy
2/3 cup heavy cream
S&P to taste
1/2 lemon (juice)
Chopped parsley or chives for garnish, optional

Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large saucepan.  Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.

Add the garlic and shrimp shells and cook for 2 minutes (omit the shells if you are using your own stock).  Add the flour and stir it for one minute.

Add the stock, water, tomatoes, sherry, brandy, thyme and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.

Strain the liquid into another sauce pan and discard the solids.  Add the rice, tomato paste, and paprika.

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is cooked, about 20-30 minutes.

Melt the butter in a pan.  Add the shrimp and saute until just cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.  Add the wine and deglaze the pan.

Add half of the shrimp and the juices to the soup and puree until smooth with an immersion blender or in a food processor or blender.  Add the remaining shrimp, sherry, brandy, and cream and heat to serve.

Season with S&P and lemon juice.  Garnish with chopped parsley or chives.

Recipe Source:  www.closetcooking.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment