Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ham, Potato, and Leek Soup

Hub-a-da Hub-a-da Hub-a-da YUMMMMM!!!!!  Oh my, is this one delicious soup!  Again, looking for a recipe using some of my leftover ham and fresh dill, I did a search and ran across this incredible recipe.

Now the recipe calls for russet potatoes, but I'm a big fan of red potatoes so I substituted those.  Also, it calls for a choice of dill, chives, or parsley.  I implore you......if you decide to try this, use the DILL!!!!  I dream about this soup in my sleep.  It is absolutely lucious, creamy, and dreamy!  I'll list the recipe as found, but, again, I substituted the potatoes and chose the dill.

HAM, POTATO, and LEEK SOUP (Serves 6)

2 Tbsp butter
4 leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned thinly sliced
4 cups chicken broth
2 large russet potatoes, peeled (I left red potatoes unpeeled), cut into 1/2" pieces
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
2 cups diced ham
1/2 cup cream or half and half (optional).....I used half and half
Salt to taste
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill, chives, or parsley

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add leeks, cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add broth, potatoes, and pepper, bring to a boil over high heat.

Reduced heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.

Use an immersion blender to puree soup or transfer mixture (in 2-3 batches) to a food processor or blender; process until smooth.

Stir in diced ham and, if desired, cream.  Season to taste with salt.

Reheat before serving, top with dill. 

Recipe Source: www.jonesdairyfarm.com
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment