Saturday, June 22, 2013

Blueberry Bread Pudding


Although I don't have much of a sweet tooth, if bread pudding is anywhere near me, I'm going to have at least a couple of bites.  I heard a little snippet about Blueberry Bread Pudding the other day and given that I had some bread in the freezer that needed to be used and that it is cheap blueberry season, I thought I'd give this a try.

I don't know if it's the bread I used (month-old Publix-brand slider rolls), but this little treat ranks very near the top of my favorites list.  This stuff is good!!!  Unlike traditional bread pudding with the cinnamon influence, this is a combination of almond extract, vanilla, and lemon zest.  And you can certainly cut some calories by using egg substitute and reduced-fat or fat-free milk.

This will keep very well and is another great choice for a snack, dessert, or picnic.



BLUEBERRY BREAD PUDDING (8-10 servings)

3 cups milk
3 large eggs (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
5-6 cup day-old torn bread (French, Italian, rolls, croissants)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 cups fresh blueberries
3 Tbsp powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350F.  Butter an 11x7 or 13x9 baking dish.

Whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, flavorings, and zest.  Add the bread and let stand for 10-15 minutes.

Toss blueberries with powdered sugar then stir into the bread mixture.  Pour into the prepared baking dish.

Set the baking dish in a larger pan and set in the oven.  Add about 4 cups of very hot water to the outer pan.  Bake for about 1 hour, or until the bread pudding is set and lightly browned on the top.

Recipe Source:  www.southernfood.com

No comments:

Post a Comment