Friday, June 28, 2013

Cowboy Chicken


Last night I had a piece of thawed chicken that I needed to use.  I didn't want to have to go out for any ingredients so I adjusted a recipe I had on hand.  This is so good and easy!  And it took just to minutes to prepare and cook.  I have a feeling this is going to be one of those "go-to" meals which will be making quite a few appearances around here.

COWBOY CHICKEN (serves 4)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup real bacon bits
1 cup cheese (cheddar, cojack, Mexican blend)
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes or Rotel (I used diced with Italian herbs)
sliced green onions

Optional Marinade
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce (or lemon juice or red wine vinegar)
2 tsp McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning

Although not necessary, you can marinade the chicken in the marinade for 30-60 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F degrees.  If chicken breasts are very plump, cut in half (like a hamburger bun).  My piece was rather thin so I didn't need to flatten it.  You can either grill the chicken until just done, or bake it in the oven (the breast I cooked was a small 4 ouncer and it only took less than 10 minutes).

Place cooked breast on a baking sheet covered with foil.  Top each breast with one tablespoon of BBQ sauce, 1/4 cup of cheese, 1/4 cup of tomatoes, and one tablespoon of bacon bits.  Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes).  Garnish with sliced green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment