Thursday, June 20, 2013

Panzanella


It's hard for me not to over-sell this salad because it is absolutely one of my favorite summer salads.  While working at a restaurant in Minnesota, the owner, Char, made this as a special one day.  When I first saw the ingredients I thought that there was no way anyone would try this.  What a mistake!!!  This recipe for bread salad comes from Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa.

While I like sweet peppers enough, I never would have thought I would crave a salad made predominantly with them.  Over the years of making this I have slightly adapted it to suit my tastes.  Grape tomatoes are a must (better flavor and they hold their shape), one each of the sweet peppers (or a bag of mini peppers), and the small pickling cucumbers (never a regular-sized cucumber), although an English cucumber, small in diameter, works in a crunch.  And I only use a Panera regular baguette....cheaper ones just don't give me the texture I like.

Since we'll get several meals out of this, I keep the vegetables, croutons, and dressing separate until ready to serve to keep the croutons from getting soggy.  But if that's how you like them, by all means mix it all together.

This makes a beautiful presentation and is perfect for lunch, dinner, potlucks, or picnics.  And if you do Meatless Mondays, this would be perfect.  Enjoy!

PANZANELLA (approximately 4 large servings)

Croutons:
Cube one baguette.  In Dutch oven, add olive oil to coat the bottom and add kosher salt.  Add bread cubes (you may need to do several batches) and continue to stir until croutons are browned.

Salad:
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
5-6 pickling cucumbers (I strip 3-4 strips of the peel off, then cut the cuke into 4 lengthwise cuts, then dice) or 1 diced English cucumber
1 red, orange, and yellow sweet pepper, diced
2 semi-thick slices of red onion, diced
about 20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
3 Tbsp capers

Vinaigrette:
1 tso minced garlic
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp champagne or white wine vinegar
1/2 cup EVOO
S&P

When ready to serve, mix all of the vegetables with the croutons and vinaigrette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment