Saturday, April 27, 2013

Birthday Cake Puppy Chow


First of all, let me reiterate that I do not have a sweettooth.  At all.  But let me also say, I could have eaten every single bite of this snack.  EVERY bite.  And this is WAY over the top when it comes to sweetness.  But it is delicious.  And so easy.  It truly does taste like a birthday cake, and the crunch from the cereal is an extra-added bonus.

I did read in the instructions that if you like it to stay crisp (past day one) to omit the butter.  Next time I make it, I'll try this.  But since I didn't see those instructions until after I had already made it, I let the bites lay on a cookie sheet and kept them in the frig.  The next day they were still crispy.  I don't know how they would have fared any longer, they didn't last that long.

BIRTHDAY CAKE PUPPY CHOW (makes about 4 1/2 cups)

4 1/2 cups crisped rice (Rice Chex) cereal (do not use Crispex)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter
3 Tbsp heavy cream (no substitutes)
10 oz white chocolate candy melts or almond bark (not white chocolate chips)
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp butter extract
2/3 cup assorted sprinkles (2 bottles of 2 oz multi-colored nonpareils)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Pour the cereal in a large bowl; set aside.

In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, cream, and white chocolate.  Stir constantly until the white chocolate is fully melted.  The mixture will be very thick and buttery.  Remove from heat.  Stir in almond and butter extracts.

Pour warm white chocolate mixture over cereal.  Stir it all together gently, making sure not to break the cereal.  Wait about 3-4 (no longer) minutes and gently fold in the sprinkles, you don't want the sprinkles to lose their color.

In a large zipped top bag or covered container, add the powdered sugar.  Pour the white chocolate covered cereal into the large bag or container.  Seal the bag or container and shake until all the cereal is coated with the powdered sugar.

Discard excess powdered sugar and enjoy.  Store at room temperature up to 2 weeks.

Recipe Source: sallysbakingaddiction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment