Friday, April 5, 2013

Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup


I am a big fan of broccoli soup, unfortunately Jim isn't.  But every once in a while, I make something just for me.  Imagine my surprise when he announced that this was a good one!

I had never roasted broccoli for soup before and let me tell you.......it makes quite a difference!!!!   There is such a depth of flavor in this soup.  Be careful, though.  The recipe calls to roast the broccoli for 20-30 minutes, start keeping an eye out at 15 minutes.  My oven is at the proper temperature (I keep an oven thermometer inside to ensure the oven is working correctly), and at 20 minutes it got a little darker than I had hoped for.  But this soup still came out wonderfully!

BROCCOLI AND CHEDDAR SOUP (4 servings)

1 large bunch broccoli, cut into florets (I also use the stalks, trimmed, peeled, and diced)
2 Tbsp oil, divided
S&P to taste
1 medium onion, diced
2 tsp garlic, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cheddar, shredded
1 cup milk or cream
1 Tbs grainy mustard (optional)

Toss the broccoli florets in 1 Tbsp oil along with the S&P and arrange them in a single layer on a large baking sheet.

Roast the broccoli in a preheated 400F oven until lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about one minute.

Add the broth and broccoli, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.

Puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency with a stick blender or a blender. Mix in the cheese, let it melt and season with S&SP.  Mix in the milk or cream and remove from heat.

Recipe Source:  www.closetcooking.com

No comments:

Post a Comment