Friday, April 12, 2013

Chinese Chicken Salad


This is one of my earliest recipes as I began my love of cooking.  While living in California many years ago, there was a little Asian restaurant I used to go to for lunch.  I always order the same thing once I discovered it.  It's amazing how delicious a salad with so few ingredients can be.

A few notes:  First, I usually cook the noodles on the stove in a tall stockpot.  But last night I decided to use my Fry Daddy on the back porch.  I don't think the oil got hot enough because the noodles didn't puff up like like they should.  Secondly, the photo isn't quite right.  I didn't realize until after I took the picture that I had left the lettuce out....ooops!

Make the dressing ahead of time and then you can put this meal together in minutes.

CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD (2-3 servings)

Salad:
3 oz rice sticks
1/4 head (or more) iceberg lettuce, shredded
6 oz chopped or shredded cooked chicken
3-4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
Vegetable oil for frying

Dressing:
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 Tbsp minced ginger

For the salad:
Pour oil into pan about 3" deep.  Heat to 375-400F.  Bread noodles into small portions, about 3" long.  Dip a portion into the hot oil, it will puff in a few seconds.  Turn noodles to cook evenly (noodles should puff up 3-4 times their original diameter).  Remove as soon as they stop crackling and place on paper towel to drain.

Shred lettuce into salad bowl.  Add chicken, peanuts,  green onions, and noodles.  Pour dressing over mixture and mix gently.

For the dressing:
Whisk ingredients together.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment