Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Thai-Style Chicken and Quinoa Salad


How I love running across new ideas for quinoa!!!  Especially when it's an entree, not just a side dish.  And I really finding an Asian-inspired dish.  And I do loves me edamame!  Then add the crunchiness of the carrots, peppers, and peanuts....ooh la la.

While this calls for chicken (grilled or a good rotisserie chicken would be wonderful), I think I'll try it again but using shrimp instead.  I served this with whole green beans and a whole-grain baguette making this an incredibly healthy dinner (not to mention delicious).

THAI-STYLE CHICKEN and QUINOA SALAD (Serves 6)

Salad:
1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
2 cups cooked chicken
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup shelled edamame
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro (I threw this directly into the quinoa after it finished cooking to allow the heat to alleviate that soap taste that those us of with the "Cilantro-Soap Gene" have.  In the meantime, I chopped the vegetables)
S&P to taste

Sauce:
4 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp canned coconut milk
1 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
2 tsp creamy peanut butter
2 tsp minced garlic
1 lime juiced, about 2 Tbsp
Pinch of ground ginger

Prepare quinoa according to package directions (about 1 cup quinoa to 1 1/2 cups liquid).  I like using chicken broth (or shrimp stock if using shrimp instead of chicken).  I cook on medium-low with pot partially covered for about 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

While quinoa is cooking, combine all of the sauce ingredients together in a liquid measure and whisk to combine (or pulse in a blender).  When the quinoa finishes cooking, scoop it into a large bowl.  Stir in the sauce and mix well.  Stir in the chicken, carrots, edamame, red pepper, green onions, peanuts, and cilantro.  Add S&P to taste.  Serve warm, room temp, or chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment