Monday, April 15, 2013

Kale, Butternut Squash, and Mushroom Miso Soup


If you enjoy Asian food, in this case Japanese, as much as I do, you're likely a friend of miso soup.  I've enjoyed this for years.  I get it everytime I go to a Japanese restaurant, and I remember staying at an Embassy Suite in Denver which had it in their breakfast line-up (they must have had a lot of Japanese guests).  I'd never heard of having it for breakfast, but this was probably the point I was completely hooked, realizing this is an all-day food.

But for the most part, I'd only had simple miso soup until I ran across this recipe.  Generally just some seawood wrap, green onions, and maybe some tofu.  But this recipe really bumps it up a notch.

I don't know a lot about miso, I haven't lived in cities which a large Japanese population.  When I have been able to locate miso, there is generally a choice of red or white.  I prefer the white.  Now the really nice thing about miso paste is that it will last for a long, long time (the miso in my frig is over a year old and still as good as day one......kept in an air-tight Lock-and-Lock container).

This is one food item packed with nutritious soy.  Enjoy it quickly any time of the day....with or without all the extra ingredients.

KALE, BUTTERNUT SQUASH, and MUSHROOM MISO SOUP (2 servings)

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup butternut squash, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup chopped kale
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp miso
1-2 green onions, sliced

Bring the broth, kale, and mushrooms to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and mix the miso into 1/2 cup of the broth from the pan and mix the mixture back into the pan.

Serve hot garnished with green onions.

Recipe Source:  www.closetcooking.com

No comments:

Post a Comment