Thursday, April 11, 2013

Santa Fe Tilapia


Some time ago, Jim and I ate at Logan's Roadhouse.  As usual, I ended up liking what he ordered better than my own choice.  This tilapia was so very good.  I immediately came home to look up copycat recipes but couldn't find it.  So I improvised and looked up several cilantro-chipotle sauce recipes and found this oh-so-close substitute.

There really isn't a recipe to the fish itself, just the sauce.  Logan's menu says the fish is "slightly spicy, grilled, and served with a roasted corn and black bean salsa and a cilantro-chipotle sauce."  Since we don't have that wonderful summer corn yet to roast, I simply used a can of Green Giant Steam Crisp "Southwestern-Style Corn" (this 11 oz can has corn, onions, black beans, and red bell peppers.)  I add some diced green chilies to it, you could substitute jalapeno if you like it spicier.

For the fish, I sprayed it with a cooking spray and then sprinkled a southwest seasoning blend (I use Durkee's "Ethnic Creations, Ancho Chile") then grilled it.  I spread the sauce on top and then covered it with the salsa mixture.  Top with tortilla strips (I found multi-colored strips in the produce department of my local Bi-Lo grocery store).  Garnish with lime wedges.

A note on the sauce.  I quartered the recipe and there was plenty for the fish and a side salad.  Jim and I are becoming more sensitive to very spicy food, so I only put in less than half of the chipotle and sauce my quartered recipe called for.  It was still pretty spicy for us.  Next time (yes, there will definitely be a next time!) I will just use the adobo sauce, that adds plenty of flavor without adding the chipotle.

SANTA FE TILAPIA

Fish:
one 4-6 oz tilapia fillet per person
roasted corn
black beans
jalapeno or green chilies
tortilla strips
Southwestern or Creole seasoning

Cilantro-Chipotle Dressing:
4 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp powdered sugar
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 chipotle chile in adobo
1/2 tsp adobo sauce (from the canned chilies)
1 cup mayo

Add all ingredients, except the mayo, to a blender or food processor.  Blend on low speed, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until blended.  Add mayo.  Blend on low speed stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. 

Serve immediately or refrigerate until served.

Sauce Recipe Source: www.food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment