Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Chex Party Mix



Let's step back in time, shall we? Who amongst us has not eaten Chex Party Mix sometime between Thanksgiving and the Super Bowl? This is something always in our home during that period. Since I make so much of it, I've kinda figured out a recipe that works for us and that I can keep around for those two months. Plus, I find that stores usually run specials featuring the ingredients during this time so you can usually stock up and make this on the cheap(er). Although I have found the wheat Chex at Wal-Mart for $2 compared to almost twice that amount at my local grocery stores. The original recipe is a bit different, I've adjusted this one to our tastes. My friend Donna (HI DONNA!!!!!), a fellow foodie has never made this (you might want to throw in a dash or two of Nunu's Seasoning or more hot sauce, Donna) and asked that I post the recipe. Here it be:
CHEX PARTY MIX

12 oz Crispix (I buy Publix Crispy Corn/Rice.....it's a half/half version of Chex Corn and Chex Rice cereals))
14 oz Wheat Chex
11.5 oz Cheez-It (I like Cheez-It Grooves/Sharp White Cheddar flavor)
8 oz pretzel sticks (I like Snyder's of Hanover Nibblers/Honey Mustard & Onion 11 oz bag)
10-18 oz Deluxe mixed nuts
Mix all this stuff together. This amount will make two batches of Party Mix. Put half in a ziplock bag for batch #2. For the other half:

Preheat oven to 250.

Melt 1 stick butter in a 13x9 glass baking dish in the oven. When melted, add in 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1-3 Tbsp Louisiana Hot Sauce (depending on how much heat you like, I use 1 1/2 Tbsp), and

1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

Whisk all this together. Now, I have a great big yellow plastic bowl that I put all the cereal in and then pour this mixture over.....it's much easier to mix it up this way instead of using the 13x9 dish.

Then, put all the cereal back in the baking dish. You'll bake the mix for a total of one hour, stirring every 15 minutes (I take the mix out ever 15 minutes, pour it into the plastic bowl and stir it, then put it back in the baking dish......I think this gives the mixing a much better coverage.)

The variations on the mix are endless.....use whatever you like in the amounts you like. But you just gotta have Party Mix around this time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment