Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pat's Freezer Pickles

My friend Pat brought me a batch of these pickles some time back. I LOVE pickles, pickles of any kind. But never in a million years would I ever think of making some. I learned this summer after making a huge batch of salsa that I cannot can on my smooth-top cooktop (I don't really understand it, but for some reason the canning process can't ruin your cooktop....something to do with the heat). Anyway......Pat's recipe doesn't require canning, but FREEZING! These are so easy, delicious, and crunchy! The recipe says it keep for you to 6 weeks, but I know this batch has been in the freezer for maybe 6 months and they are still just wonderful. If you like pickles, please try these!

Thank you, Pat, for sharing!

PAT'S SWEET 'N' TANGY FREEZER PICKLES

10-12 medium pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds), thinly sliced (I used a mandolin)
3 medium onions (I only use sweet onions: Vidalia, Texas 1015, Peru Sweets, etc), thinly sliced
1 large green pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp salt, divided
1 cup white distilled vinegar
1 Tbsp celery seed
3 Tbsp salt, divided

In a large container, combine cucumbers, onions, green pepper, and 2 Tablespoons salt. Cover with crushed ice; mix well. Refrigerate for 8 hours. Drain; rainse and drain again.

In a saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seed, and remaining 1 Tablespoon salt (or to taste). Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Spoon over cucumber mixture. Pour into jars or freezer containers. Cool.

Top with lids. Cover and freeze for up to 6 weeks. Thaw at room temperature for 4 hours before serving.

Yield: 4 pints

No comments:

Post a Comment