Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Floribbean Shrimp, Island Rice, and Sugar Snap Peas


OK, I am in the first week of frantic stamping to try to get my Christmas gifts done and in the mail. I told Jim that this week (and probably next....thank goodness for Priority Mail) would have shortcuts in cooking and homecare. Lots of Publix menus on the list.
These are great little recipes this grocery store puts out. For the most part, these are meals that can be put together and on the table in under an hour, oftentimes under half an hour. I'd been wanting to try this recipe for a long time (I have so many Publix recipes they're hard to choose just one) so tonight was the night. I made enough rice to use with another Publix recipe tomorrow night, so that will only quicken my cooking time. The only disappointment in this meal was that I overcooked the sugar snaps peas a bit (we like them with a bit of a snap). Great shrimp and rice.
FLORRIBEAN SHRIMP
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp honey
4 drops liquid smoke flavoring
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/8 tsp curry powder
1 pound peeled/deveined large shrimp
1 Tbsp garlic butter
Combine all ingredients (except shrimp and garlic butter) in medium bowl.
Pat shrimp dry and stir into mixture; let stand 10 minutes to marinate.
Preheat large saute pan on medium-high on 2-3 minutes. Place butter in pan; swirl to coat. Add shrimp; cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, or just until shrimp turn pink and opaque. Serve over rice.
ISLAND RICE
1 cup water (less if using extra pineapple juice)
1 (6 oz)can pineapple juice (I used two)
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp allspice (optional)
black pepper, to taste
2 cups instant rice (I used Jasmine rice and cooked in a rice cooker)
Combine all ingredients (except rice) in medium saucepan). Cover and bring to boil on high. (I combined rice and all ingredients in rice cooker and set to "COOK." The amount of water is indicated on the cooker, I first added the 12 oz pineapple juice and filled to the line with water)
Stir rice into boiling mixture. Cover and remove from heat: let stand 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Serve.
SUGAR SNAP PEAS
16 oz frozen sugar snap peas
1 Tbsp garlic butter
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
Place peas in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH 3 minutes or until defrosted (I went 2 minutes and think they were still a bit too cooked.)
Drain peas and return to bowl; stir in butter and seasoned salt. Cover and microwave 2 more minutes (I would go less) or until peas are tender (we prefer crisp). Stir and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight! Next time I'll make more of the marinade for the shrimp so we have some to pour over the rice. Very pleased!

    ReplyDelete