Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Microwave Nut Brittle

About a year ago, I ran across an Alton Brown recipe for microwave peanut brittle. Brittle peanut was a holiday tradition in my home growing up and the only thing I can ever remember my father preparing. I remember him standing in our kitchen over the stove stirring a big cast-iron skillet full of makings for peanut brittle.

I'm not a baker. I like to cook. Baking is a stretch for me so, if you know anything about candy, you can only imagine how I dread the thought of making candy. But my friend Donna's husband, Gene, loves toffee and peanut brittle. I thought I had the toffee mastered but had a bad run of luck with it last year so I'm a bit gun-shy. But this brittle recipe is so easy, full-proof, and quick that I have no fears!

A few notes before the recipe. Peanuts are, of course, the obvious choice. But just about any nut will do. I made one batch of peanuts and one of cashews using Emerald Salt & Pepper Cashews. Oh so good! Thanks to Alton's suggestion of using cinnamon and cayenne (who'd a thunk it?) the black pepper in the cashews bumps it up one more level. This is my new favorite.

First, my microwave is a 1000 watt oven, so you may need to adjust times if yours is another wattage. Secondly, it is very important to use a heavy glass Pyrex bowl as the brittle is extremely hot. Third, between each step I clean the utensil I am using (a wooden spoon) to stir the mixture and re-spray it with canola oil Pam. Fourth, have ready a cookie sheet.....I cover mine with aluminum foil and then spray it with Pam for easy clean up. Lastly, I have all my ingredients ready and lined up so they can be stirred into each phase without losing time. And it is helpful if you have someone else while you pour out the brittle onto the baking sheet to help smooth out the mixture so you won't have one big mound of candy......a thinner candy is crisper. REMEMBER REMEMBER REMEMBER........this mixture is extremely hot and could cause serious injury if you're not careful. Make sure no pets or children are anywhere near the kitchen in case you drop the bowl!


MICROWAVE NUT BRITTLE

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup........microwave 2 minutes, stir, then microwave 3 minutes

add, then stir:
1/2 tsp cayenne
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup nuts........if using halves or pieces of nuts, microwave for 2 minutes. If using full nuts, microwave for 3 minutes

add, then stir:
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp butter......microwave 90 seconds

add, then stir:
1 tsp baking soda

Pour onto baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with Pam. Spread out with utensils sprayed with Pam. It cools pretty quickly, then break it into the size of pieces you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment