Saturday, December 4, 2010

Venetian Rice and Peas


Did you see the movie "Julie and Julia?" I love this movie...absolutely one of my favorites. My first big giggle came when Julia and Paul first arrived in Paris and sat down in a restaurant and the waiter brought out a pan of fish which he was de-boning. Julia (Meryl Streep) dreamily looked at the pan with the fish and then at her husband and uttered one word....."butter."
A bit later as they flashed to the new character "Julie," she is talking about how if you've ever had anything that was so delicious, you had to know that butter was the main component.
This is one of those dishes. I swear, were I ever on Death Row, I think this might be my request as part of my last meal. Oh my. It is that good.
I ran across the recipe in one of those holiday food supplements prior to Thanksgiving. Just for the heck of it, I did a search for "Venetian Rice and Peas" and ran across a bunch of different recipes. Mostly the same ingredients with a bit of variation, but I am so glad I stuck to the original I found. I won't make this very often because it is just so decadent.....but believe you me! This one will be back.
Jim suggested substituting bleu cheese for Parmesan and my heart just skipped a beat. Like this dish could be any better. Goodness!!!! That would be absolutely divine!!!!!
VENETIAN RICE AND PEAS
4 slices diced bacon
1 onion, minced (I diced)
10 oz frozen peas
6 Tbsp butter
3/4 cup rice (I used jasmine)
2 cups chicken broth
S&P to taste
Parmesan Cheese (or Bleu!)
In skillet (I used a saucepan), saute bacon until crisp. Pour off fat, remove bacon.
In same pan, cook onions and peas in butter for about 5 minutes. Add rice. cook until coated with butter. Stir in broth, S&P. Simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until rice absorbs broth and is tender.
Top with cheese and bacon.
Makes 4 servings (right!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment