Saturday, December 4, 2010

Lentil Vegetable Soup


I've been making and eating lentil soup for years, albeit somewhat unenthusiastically, because I know it's good for me and I do enjoy soups with an earthy feel/flavor. But as I've mentioned before, texture rates almost as high on the charts for me as does flavor. And regular lentils are, well, a bit mushy.
And then I discovered French Green Lentils. These actually have a bit of a snap to them. And this recipe from Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) is just a wonderful blend of flavors and texture.
I've not seen French Green Lentils in traditional grocery stores. I found these in our local Seventh Day Adventist market which has a bulk item section, but I imagine you would probably find them in a good health-food market or specialty market.
LENTIL VEGETABLE SOUP
Serves 4-5
1/2 pound French green lentils
2 cups chopped yellow onions
2 cup chopped leeks, white and light green parts (1 leek)
1/2 Tbsp chopped garlic (about 2 cloves, depending on size)
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp coarsley-ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried (I used fresh, plus added another 1/2 Tbsp after cooking)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 cups medium-diced celery (4 stalks)
1 1/2 cups medium-diced carrot (I used 4, mine were kinda small)
1 1/2 qt chicken stock (I used turkey stock made after Thanksgiving)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp red wine or red wine vinegar
Freshly shaved or grated Parmesan
In a bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit at least 15 minutes. Drain.
In a stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil, S&P, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent and very tender. Add the celery and carrots and saute for 10 more minutes. Add the stock, tomato paste, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes until the lentils are cooked through (don't let 'em get mushy!) Check seasonings. Add the red wine and serve hot, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Parmesan.
Yum, yum, yum......enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment