Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Shrimp Teriyaki Fried Rice

WOW!!! I can't believe it's been over a week since I posted anything! I got a bit busy around Christmas and, while I took photos of different meals, The Girls, and The Snow, I just didn't get it posted. But I'm back on track now and ready for 2011!

I thought I had posted this recipe before but didn't see it as I looked at past posts. I've made it several times and it has never disappointed. Whenever I cook up a batch of rice, I always make extra to stick in the freezer for a quick dinner. I try to stick with Brown Basmati rice, but I just love Jasmine rice so it's kinda 50/50 as to which I use. Either works wonderfully with this recipe. Also, if you can find the teriyaki sauce brand "Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki," USE IT! It makes all the difference. I've never had trouble finding this brand....it is carried in both of our local supermarkets.

Also, feel free to throw in whatever vegetables you have. I'll list the recipe I originally found below, but here are some of the variations I have used (and I usually half the recipe since there are just two of us): scramble an egg or two (or add Egg Beaters) and add to the rice as it warms and until the egg is cooked, julienned red peppers, frozen peas and/or carrots, cabbage (I'll add the cabbage near the end before I like the crunch, but add it early if you like it cooked/softer), or I like chopped water chestnuts, also for their crunch,  grated ginger..........you get the idea.  I've also substituted shrimp for the chicken. or used cooked, rotisserie chicken in place of the uncooked chicken.

CHICKEN TERIYAKI FRIED RICE
2 cups uncooked rice (4-5 cups cooked)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large chicken breast, finely sliced (about 1 lb)......shrimp also works
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1-2 cups sugar snap peas
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

Cook rice as directed on packaged (or use leftover cooked rice). Over med-high heat, stir fry the chicken in 1 Tbsp olive oil until fully cooked. Remove from pan. Add the other Tbsp olive oil and saute green onions and carrots over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in peas, rice, and chicken. Pour in the teriyaki sauce and stir to distribute evenly. Cook another few minutes to heat throughout, stirring constantly.
I've served this with baked egg rolls or egg-drop soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment