Friday, February 4, 2011

Chocolate Haystacks

I have always loved this candy. I LOVE crunchy coconut. And this recipe is so incredibly fast and easy. Oh, and delicious!

CHOCOLATE HAYSTACKS

1/2 package sweetened flaked coconut (3 1/2 oz)
1 extra large Symphony bar (regular chocolate, not with toffee and almonds)

Spread coconut on a plate and microwave on high, stirring every 30 seconds. Watch carefully to avoid burning (after about the second time, the coconut in the middle started to brown.....I took that coconut off the plate onto another plate, and then continued to microwave the remaining, unbrowned coconut). Continue until all coconut is golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes or so to dry out completely and then it will become brittle (you can also toast coconut in the oven, but I've burned it too many times because I forget about it!)

Break apart the chocolate bar and place in a glass bowl. Microwave at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted.

Pour the coconut into the chocolate and stir until completely coated. Using a spoon, drop balls of choc/coco onto a piece of waxed paper placed on a cookie sheet. Let dry (I put the tray on my back porch in cold temps and it set up pretty quickly).

No comments:

Post a Comment