Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas

Back to my mission of trying to use things I have on hand for dinner. I still have a stash of the most wonderful tortillas from Central Market in Texas in my freezer. And I roasted a turkey yesterday. So I thumbed through some recipes I'd been saving and found one which incorporated these two ingredients. Fast, easy, delicious. And just a smidge more space in my freezer!

This recipe made just enough for the two of us.

PICO de GALLO CHICKEN QUESADILLAS

1 large Roma tomato, diced
1/2 small sweet onion, chopped
1 Tbsp+ chopped cilantro
1 lime, juiced (mine was especially juicy, I should have only used half of it)
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
S&P to taste

Canola oil cooking spray
Cooked chicken or turkey, amount to taste (I used one thick slice of turkey and it was just right)
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 (10" or 12") flour tortillas
About 1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese (I used the reduced fat version with great results)
Sour cream, if you like

In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, S&P. Set aside.

Spray a hot pan with canola oil cooking spray and saute the sliced onion and green pepper until tender. Stir in the minced garlic and saute. Mix in half of the pico de gallo and cooked poultry. Set aside; keep warm.

In a heavy skillet or griddle which has been heated, spray with a bit of cooking spray. Put one tortilla on grill. Spread about 1/4 cup cheese on the tortilla and top with half of the chicken mixture. Sprinkle another 1/4 cup cheese over the chicken and top with another tortilla. When bottom tortilla is lightly brown and cheese has started to melt, flip quesadilla and cook on the opposite side. Remove from skillet and cut into quarters. Repeat with remaining ingredients. (I used one griddle and one large skillet so I could do two quesadillas at a time.)

Serve quesadillas with sour cream and remaining pico de gallo. I also served a green salad with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment