Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Shrimp and Sausage w/Stewed Tomatoes and Okra

So, I was at Publix yesterday and just happened upon their demo-ing this dish. I had collected the recipe card and really hadn't even given it a second thought. And then I tasted it.

WOW! OK, I'm not sure which I liked better. The entree or the side dish. I love, love, love shrimp, but I also love, love, love okra. This idea was the best of two worlds. My version of Publix's recipe SERVES 2.

The okra dish is so very fast and easy. Put a can (14.5 oz) of Italian-style tomatoes in a pan with 1/2 cup chicken broth and some hot sauce to taste (we prefer Louisiana Hot Sauce). Bring to a boil and throw in about 3/4 lb of sliced fresh okra. Cook at a simmer, about 15 minutes, until okra is done.

Now, for the shrimp and sausage recipe. The Publix recipe called for threading the shrimp and sausage on skewers and grilling them. But I found a much easier way to prepare. First, get about 1/2 pound of medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined, and about 5 oz of smoked turkey sausage sliced into about 1/4-1/2" slices (Publix used beef sausage....you know the kind, like a rope, usually shaped into a ring. I went to the turkey sausage because it only contains about 1/3 of the fat that the beef version has and has all of the flavor).

In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/4 cup of apple jelly (yes, jelly, NOT apple butter. You can find it in the jam/jelly section of your supermarket), 1 Tbsp brown sugar, and 1/8 tsp of liquid smoke. Cover and cook on high for about 60-90 seconds, or until liquified. Stir.

Coat hot skillet with canola cooking spray. Add shrimp and sausage. Cook until shrimp turn pink and sausage is warmed. Add jelly mixture and mix to coat.

Serve the shrimp/sausage on rice with the okra mixture on the side.

Oh my!!!! This is SO good!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment