Monday, February 28, 2011

Meatballs

OK, so once again, not the best photo. But if you are looking for a healthy, low-fat meatball, this is the best! I altered the recipe from one I got while working at Char's restaurant in Red Wing, MN. I simply took out the ground beef and pork and substituted ground turkey breast. And the surprising ingredient: raisins! I can count on one hand the foods I just won't go near and raisins had always been at the top of the list until I tried these meatballs. So many pluses to these meatballs: you can also make them in advance and freeze them. And just keep a jar of your favorite pasta sauce on hand and some spaghetti in the cupboard and you're set!

This recipe makes 18 meatballs (I weigh the meat out at 50 grams) which I freeze (after cooking) and then just take out how ever many we feel like eating (usually 2 each) and heat them in the pasta sauce. I served this with a basic Caesar's Salad, dressing recipe listed previously.

AMICI'S MEATBALLS

20 oz ground turkey breast
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg beaters)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan
2 large garlic cloves, chopped (2-3 tsp)
handful of raisins
1/2 cup milk (I used skim, you can use 2% or whole)
s&p

Mix together with your hands. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes (I like to undercook them about a minute or 2.....they will cook further when you put them in the sauce to heat up. Also, they will not be the dark brown meatballs you are used to, they will be a much lighter color.)

No comments:

Post a Comment