Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cucumbers with Dressing



I loves me some cucumbers!  But I'm also very particular about them.  I almost exclusively eat the small pickling cucumbers.  I'll resort to English (hothouse) cukes in a crisis, but I just can't bring myself to buy those awful huge things that they insist on growing to the size of footballs.

Since as long as I can remember, my mom's and dad's families always had a cucumber salad with every meal during the summer (they all had gardens).  And when Mom would make it at home I would sneak into the frig and steal a couple of slices.  Hers were a simple recipe of sliced cukes, sliced sweet onions, water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, S&P, and the requisite ice cubes!  This was the only way I ate cucumbers (outside of additions to salads, etc.) until Jim's stepmother introduced me to this mayo-based salad.

The first time she made it, I graciously allowed everyone to take a helping and then I, again graciously, finished everything that was leftover.  She had to make another batch for the next meal and always had them on hand when we visited during the cucumber months.

The recipe came from a Taste of Home magazine back in 1997.  Whenever I make a dip or dressing with mayo I usually use half regular and half low-fat mayo to lighten it up a bit.  But you really need to use the full-fat version here.  Also, I only make about 1/3 of the dressing recipe and it is plenty for my taste.

CUCUMBERS with DRESSING (serves 4-6.....well, in most cases!)

1 cup mayo
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar (I used cider)
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups sliced cucumbers
fresh dill, chopped

In a bowl, combine mayo, sugar, vinegar, and salt.  Add cucumbers; stir to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Recipe Source: Taste of Home magazine, June/July 1997, p. 35

No comments:

Post a Comment