Thursday, July 4, 2013

Mustard Herb Roasted Potatoes


 
HAPPY 4th of JULY!!!
 
I hope you're all enjoying a nice holiday.  I'm lovin' it here....RAIN RAIN RAIN!!!  My favorite weather.  We're counting the hours until the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest (ESPN 1 p.m. EDT).  What a hoot to watch!  Since Jim isn't home, it'll be just me and the girls cooking our own hot dogs (not participating in the contest, you understand.  Just one hot dog per person/dog here today!)
 
 
But onto today's dish....some incredible potatoes!  Publix had fingerling potatoes on sale last week and I needed to do something with them.  I hadn't used fingerlings in years but that won't be happening again.  And when I do use them, I guarantee you, I'll be using this recipe.
 
Fingerlings are a creamy potato.  These are roasted in olive oil, mustard, rosemary, and thyme.  The mustard caramelizes and gives the edges of these potatoes a bit of a crunch.  Generally, I almost always prefer fresh herbs over dried, but dried definitely has an edge with these potatoes...they give another dimension of crunch.  But it's the mustard, oh the mustard!  What a wonderful flavor.
 
So if you catch fingerlings at a good price, try this recipe.  Eat them hot out of the oven to keep that wonderful texture.
 
MUSTARD HERB ROASTED POTATOES (4-6 servings)
 
2 pounds fingerling potatoes, cleaned
2 Tbsp EVOO
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard, plus extra for dipping
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
 
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
 
Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and toss them with the remaining ingredients.  Arrange the herbed potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and roast them for 35-40 minutes (I stirred them halfway through the cooking time), until they are golden brown and tender.
 
Season them with salt, if desired.  Serve wtih additional Dijon on the side (optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment