Monday, July 22, 2013

Navy Bean Soup


As I said a few days ago, I love having soup around.  For a meal or a snack, I can't think of any type of soup I don't care for.  And I love making it!  To me, soup-making is a labor of love.  I love the prep work, chopping the vegetables, and how it changes and matures after a day or two.  And while I do indulge in cream-based soups occasionally, I like to try to keep a lo-cal/lo-fat/hi-fiber/hi-flavor soup on hand, year around.

This is one my my standards.   I can't say I really follow a specific recipe.  Below is simply a guideline.  Add more or fewer vegetales or vary the seasonings to your taste.  And for a diversion from what you'd expect, try adding a splash of vinegar to your cup of soup.

NAVY BEAN SOUP (4-6 servings)

1/2 pound dried navy beans, soaked overnight
1 ham bone or ham hock
1 quart water
1-2 stalks of celery, diced (include celery leaves)
2 medium carrots, or about 1-2 dozen baby carrots (depending on size) chopped
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2-1 cup diced ham, optional
2 tsp garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp Montreal Seasoning
1 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
S&P, to taste
choice of vinegar, optional

Bring pre-soaked beans, water, and ham bone or ham hock to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer.  Start checking the beans for tenderness at about 45 minutes.  Once they start to become tender, add the vegetables, diced ham (if using), and seasonings.  Do not add any salt at this time.  Between the ham and the Montreal Seasoning, this may be all you need.  Check vegetables at about 15 minutes.

Once vegetables and beans are tender to your liking, adjust seasonings if necessary.  Remove bay leaves.  If you like, serve with a splash of distilled, apple, white or red wine vinegar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment