Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Skillet Cilantro and Lime Fish Tacos


I generally make fish/shrimp tacos at least once a week....especially in the summer.  With Jim being gone, by dinner meals have become a bit lax and so it's been more than a few weeks since I've made tacos.  This recipe has been sitting on the top of my "To Make" file for some time, and tonight was the night.

I don't think I've ever made the same fish/shrimp taco the same way twice.  Grilled, sauteed, breaded, baked.....makes me no mind!  I love 'em all.  But, for me, one thing always holds true:  I always use the double shell.  The soft tortilla on the outside keeps those crumbling hard shells from falling away, and I just love the dichotomy of that double-crunch!

So, I have listed the recipe as I found it using just the soft tortillas, which would work even for me.  But, again, I love the crunch so I used both.  I used refried beans as a glue to hold the hard shell to the soft tortilla.  I served this with my favorite Spanish rice (see 5-12-13 post) and refried black beans with melted cheddar.  And since I am by myself, I quartered this recipe, although I could have made less.  Two tacos with the rice and beans was a bit too much.  One taco would have been plenty satisfying for me.

SKILLET CILANTRO and LIME FISH TACOS (serves 4-5)

1 tsp vegetable oil
1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
4 tsp finely minced onion
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, membranes removed and finely chopped
2 large ripe Roma tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice (from about 2-3 limes)
1 pound tilapia, Swai, flounder, or other mild white fish fillets, rinsed and patted dry
S&P to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 (5") white corn tortillas
1-2 ripe avocados, sliced
Lime wedges and cilantro for garnish

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil and the onions.  Saute, stirring often, until translucent, about 5-6 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.  Add jalapenos, tomatoes, and lime juice.  Cook until heated through, 1-2 minutes.  Add the fish and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, gently breaking up the fish into bite-sized pieces, until the fish is cooked through and the liquid in the skillet is somewhat reduced (it should be fairly wet but not really soupy).  Be careful not to stir too vigorously or the fish will turn into mushy bits.  Season to taste with S&P.  Stir in the cilantro.

Heat the tortillas in a dry skillet for a few minutes on each side to warm or sandwich 3-4 tortillas in between damp paper towels and microwave for 30-45 seconds until pliable.  Scoop the fish mixture into the corn tortillas and top with the avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment