Friday, July 12, 2013

Split Pea Soup with Barley/Wheatberries/Farro


I know it's summer and it's hot, but I like having a pot of soup in the frig for those times when I need a filling snack.  While it's easy to grab a handful of chips, I really prefer something that will fill that nagging hunger but not a full meal.

I generally keep one of several soups on hand.  My favorite three are split pea, navy bean, or a crockpot tomato and spinach soup.  These are all filling, low-cal/fat, high fiber, and healthy snacking options.

This is my recipe and of course everything should be tailored to your tastes.  When I use barley, I cook it into the soup.  If I am using wheatberries or farro, I'll simply add those (already cooked) to the finished soup.  And I like my split pea soup thick...I want to be able to stand a spoon in it!  Therefore, I tend to let most of the water evaporate.  If you like yours thinner, don't cook it down as much as I do.  I generally don't add potatoes since I already have the grain in the soup, but I had one on hand that needed to be used so this time I added it.  And I will never, ever, make split pea soup without adding cumin.  Oh YUMMM!!!

And just one more BIG plus:  this (weirdly enough!) makes a great dip for chips.....my favorite: tortilla chips.

SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH BARLEY/WHEATBERRIES/FARRO (makes about 6 cups)

8 oz split peas
ham hock or pork jowl
1 stalk celery, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
3 tsp garlic
1 medium carrot, diced
1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup barley (if using....if you choose wheatberries or farro, cook those on the side and then add them at the end)
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp Cajun Seasoning (I use Joe's Hot Stuff or Nunu's)
1 tsp Montreal Seasoning
salt, to taste
Parmesan cheese, for garnish

Put split peas, ham hock or pork jowl, celery, onion, and garlic.  Fill with water about 1" above the split peas.  Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cover (with lid partially open) and cook about 30 minutes.  Add carrot, potato, and barley.  Add a bit more water.  Cook at a simmer for about 20-30 minutes.

Add seasoning to taste.  Serve garnished with grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment